Friday, April 23, 2010

Oklahoma NFL player a Canuck fan!?

Sam Bradford of the Oklahoma Sooners captured football's most prestigious honour in winning the 74th Heisman Trophy last month, leading the highest scoring offense in the history of Division One football.

But what is also noteworthy is that Bradford always wanted to play for the Vancouver Canucks. (But there's NO Canucks hockey in Oklahoma...)

The area is not exactly known as a hockey hotbed, but the Oklahoma native said that the sport was something in which he excelled in at an early age.

"It's kind of weird because hockey's not a big sport down here in the south but it's something I really got into when I was young,'' Bradford told CKNW News Talk 980 in Vancouver.

"I remember trying to convince my parents to move to Vancouver. I thought it was the best decision for me and my family but they didn't see me eye-to-eye on that," laughed Bradford.

When asked what it was that caught his eye about Vancouver, Bradford admitted he didn't know much about the city other than that was where the Canucks played.

"I was a big Pavel Bure fan and I would watch all the Don Cherry Rock 'Em Sock 'Em tapes,'' he said in the radio interview. ''For some reason I just picked out Bure as my favorite player so I just started following the Canucks." (But he was like 5 or 6 when Canucks went to the Stanley Cup finals?!)

(So what's next, some MLB guy confessing to be a Boston Bruins fan?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment